It is an Arab city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and is considered the capital of the Kingdom, about 800 km away from Makkah and Medina, located in the eastern part of the plateau of Najd, which is the largest city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with an area of 1435 square kilometers, and is one of the fastest expanding cities In area, it has a population of about 5.25 million people.
And the origin of its name goes back to the word Riyadh, which is a kindergarten collection, as it means a land of greenery and a good garden. 11th century AH.
Location and geography
The city of Riyadh is located in the center of Saudi Arabia, on the 38-34 ° north line and the longitude 43-46 ° east. It is located on a sedimentary plateau with a height of about 600 meters above sea level in the eastern part of the Arabian Peninsula. It contains several environmental formations so that the topography of the city is distinguished between the hills The valleys, the most important of these formations are the mountain formation, which consists of limestone rocks located in the western part of the city, and the Arab composition, which consists of limestone rocks, precious rocks, and limestone rocks located in the northwest to the southeast.
Among the most prominent features of the terrain city are the valleys, the most important of which is the Hanifa Valley, which has a length of about 120 km, which passes from the northwestern part to the southeast of the city, and there are also other terrain features, such as; Which is increasing in density towards the east.
Landmarks of Riyadh
- Masmak Palace: It is a fortress that consists of four observation towers, built from milk as it is located in the center of Riyadh in the old neighborhoods, and had a distinctive impact on the history of the Kingdom, where Ibn Masoud began taking over Riyadh in 1902 AD.
- Al-Faisaliah Tower: It is located in Al-Olaya district, north of Riyadh, with an area of 55,000 square meters. It consists of a tower that reaches a height of 267 meters and ranks forty in the tallest buildings in the world. The wedding hall can accommodate 4000 people without any pillars inside the hall.
- Kingdom Tower: It is the third tallest skyscraper in the country, and the third tallest building in the world.
- King Abdullah Financial District.
- King Khaled International Airport.
- Imam Turki bin Abdullah Mosque.