It is one of the Egyptian governorates, it is located within the borders of Upper Egypt, and the total area of Sohag Governorate reaches eleven thousand and twenty two square kilometers, and its width ranges between sixteen to twenty five kilometers, and Sohag Governorate is divided into twelve centers, twelve cities, and three Neighborhoods, and it extends to include fifty-one major villages and two hundred and seventy affiliated villages. The city of Sohag is the capital of the governorate of Sohag in terms of administrative, cultural and economic, as it tops the list of governorates that export sugar cane, as it comes after Qena Governorate in its export.
Sohag governorate is affected by the desert climate, and this climate prevails in the entire Egyptian Upper Egypt, as its climate is dry, and its summers are hot and mild winters.
Places of worship
The city of Sohag includes a place of worship for the Christian and Islamic religions, including the Church of the Virgin, the Mosque of Ali Ibn Abi Talib, the Mosque of Al-Farshouti, the Al-Aref Mosque.Read:5 things to do with your kids on Bali
Sohag Governorate is famous for cultivating and manufacturing sugar cane in its factories, where a specialized complex for sugar factories has been established for complementary industries in the city of Gerga, and the industry in the governorate depends on food industries, furniture, hand-weaving, carpets, kilims, yarn, and others.
It is noteworthy that the governorate of Sohag is one of the governorates rich in mineral wealth, as it extracts huge quantities of marble, calcite, limestone, sandstone and Issawi.
Agricultural lands cover most of the Sohag governorate, as green areas are considered the most widespread, with an area of agricultural lands in which there are about two hundred and ninety-five thousand and six hundred acres, and it is famous for cultivating sugar cane, maize, cotton, beans, onions and wheat.
The governorate of Sohag is considered a governorate of historical and tourism importance due to its historical monuments and monuments in it.
- Ramses II Temple in Akhmim.
- Abydos Temple in Ballina.
- Merit Amun Temple in Akhmim.
- Aref mosque in God.
- The Chinese Mosque in Girga.
- The western mountain in Juhaynah.
- Coptic monasteries, including the monastery of Anba Shazouda, the head of the Autistic, is located in the western mountain region in the village of Awlad Azaz, and it is called the White Monastery due to its construction of white bricks.
- The monasteries of Akhmim, the Monastery of the Angel, and the Monastery of the Virgin in the Eastern Mountain.
- Al-Kawthar Tourist Village.
- Wadi Bir Al-Ain.
- Cemeteries of the Kings of the First and Second Pharaonic Families in the Al-Jaab region.
- Siti Al-Olen Temple, considered to be the first and only temple in Egypt to be fully roofed.
- Haridi Mountain, and it is made by a number of rock tombs, whose origins date back to the first ancient and modern countries.