Saint Catherine’s monastery is located in South Sinai, Egypt, at the foot of Mount Catherine, which is the highest mountain in Egypt, where the history of the construction of the Church of Saint Catherine Sharm El Sheikh dates back to the fourth century AD, and is considered the oldest monastery in the world, it is a large tourist destination visited by tourists from all parts of the world It is considered one of the most beautiful tourist attractions in Egypt.
The best things to do in St. Catherine’s Monastery
• Enjoy an unforgettable view, the moment of sunrise from the top of Mount Catherine at 2,642 meters.
• When entering the Church of the Transfiguration, you can take commemorative photos of the Mosaic and the Transfiguration, which is the most famous, dating back to the year 542 AD.
• Do not forget to visit the monastery library and see its treasures, and this library is one of the oldest and greatest libraries in the world, as it contains 2000 manuscripts written in different languages.
• You can also enjoy watching the oldest religious and artistic manuscripts in the Monastery Museum.
You can also visit the Monastery Mosque, whose construction dates back to the 11th century AD, where the design is distinguished by the architecture of Islamic art and its walls are decorated with the most beautiful reliefs.
• While touring the monastery garden that combines tall trees and flowers, enjoy seeing the inflamed bush tree, and its name is due to the place where the Prophet of God Moses – peace be upon him – saw the fire in the story reported by the Holy Qur’an.
Times for visiting St. Catherine Church of Sharm El Sheikh
All days of the week from 07:00 AM until 05:00 PM.
The best hotels near Saint Catherine Church of Sharm El Sheikh
There are no good hotels near St. Catherine Church in Sharm El Sheikh, so we recommend that you book a hotel in Sharm El Sheikh in the city center and set aside part of your day to visit this monument.
Saint Catherine Church site, Sharm El Sheikh