Sultan Qaboos Mosque is located near the road to the heart of the city of Muscat in the state of Bawshar, and is considered one of the most important tourist places in the Sultanate of Oman.
The role of the mosque is also highlighted as a scientific and intellectual source of knowledge across the Islamic world. Construction took 6 years and was opened in 2001.
The mosque has a total capacity of 20,000 people, and its main hall alone can accommodate 6,500 people, and it covers an area of about 416,000 square meters.
The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque includes a central dome of up to 50 meters high, and its distinctive minaret gives it a unique character.
The walls of the mosque and the inner courtyard were inscribed with a tape of Qur’anic verses in a third line, and the names of God the Most Beautiful were written on the front walls of the corridors.
Table of Contents
Activities you can do
• You can start walking around the Sultan Qaboos Mosque and its green courtyards. You can also take memorial photos next to its fountains and picturesque flowers.
• Do not forget during your foreign tour taking some pictures of the mosque, which is dominated by the Islamic character, with its arches, minaret and magnificent dome.
• The courtyards of Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque include many pedestrian paths surrounded by greenery and flowers, for which you can allocate some time and pictures.
• Then head to the entrance corridor that will amaze you with its beauty, where you can enjoy watching the arches from the inside, and taking pictures of their lacy walls.
• When you enter the prayer hall, you will notice a huge 14-meter long chandelier, and the second largest hand-woven carpet in the world.
• You must enjoy watching the dome of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque from the inside, and take some wonderful pictures of its unique decoration.
• You can also enjoy a tour of the many other prayer halls of the mosque, in which the beauty of engineering and ancient Islamic interiors is highlighted.
• The ceilings and walls of the Sultan Qaboos Mosque deserve the lens of your cameras, especially those stained windows, designed in an amazing way of wood and glass.
• After completing your visit, be sure to take panoramic photos of the mosque in the evening, when the dome and minarets are illuminated in very creative colors.
Entrance prices to Sultan Qaboos Mosque
Free, but to learn about the history of the mosque, headphones must be purchased from the site for $ 5, and women must wear the abaya and head covering.
Opening times in the Sultan Qaboos Mosque
Daily from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., except for Friday, the official holiday for mosque employees.
Hotels near Sultan Qaboos Mosque
Park Inn by Radisson Muscat Hotel is one of the best 4-star hotels in the Sultanate of Oman, 3.6 km from Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque.
Summary of Arab visitor ratings
The location is excellent and close to the airport and markets, breakfast is varied, staff helpful, cleanliness, and services provided.
Centara Muscat Hotel Oman is one of the best 4-star Muscat hotels, and it is 2.5 km from Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque.
Summary of Arab visitor ratings
The location is excellent and quiet, its nature is wonderful, the staff are professional and cheerful, the food is delicious and varied, the general cleanliness level, the facilities and services, the rooms are spacious and comfortable.
Sultan Qaboos Mosque site on Google Map