The city of Dar es Salaam is located on the Gulf of the Indian Ocean, which is the former capital of the state of Tanzania, and it is the largest city in the country, in addition to being the economic and communication center in it, and produces the main industries in Dar es Salaam: many foods and beverages, clothes, shoes, textiles, and oils , Cement, pharmaceutical products, aluminum, and many more.
The main exports of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania include: cotton, diamonds, coffee, and leather. There is also a railway called Tazara that links it with the copper belt in Zambia, as well as a railway that extends from Kigoma to Lake Tanganyika.
Founder of Dar Al Salam
Sultan Zanzibar founded Dar es Salaam in 1866 AD, as it was a small city when German forces occupied it in 1887 AD, and it became the German capital of East Africa in 1891 AD, and the city began to grow during World War II, where many universities and colleges appeared, such as: Dar Al Salam Technical College , College of Business Administration, The Open University of Tanzania, and many others.
Other information about Dar Al Salam
There is a lot of other information about Dar es Salaam, including:
- The climate of Dar es Salaam is hot and humid, with an annual rainfall of about 1,100 mm.
- The buildings in it are a reflection of the city’s colonial past, and offer a rich mixture of architectural styles.
- Dar Al Salam has an international airport that serves domestic and international flights.
- The city of Dar es Salaam is a destination for many tourists because of its picturesque port, its beautiful beaches, and the hustle and bustle of its nightlife.
- Educational facilities include: Dar es Salaam University, many libraries and research institutes, in addition to the National Museum.
- Dodoma became the national capital of Tanzania in 1974, and Dar es Salaam remained the seat of most government departments until the completion of the dispatch and transfer of official duties to Dodoma.