Table of Contents
The global food crisis
Despite the progress that is taking place in our time, hunger is still the scourge of the age that storms homes and enters them from windows in poor countries as a result of the low level of income, unemployment, population, resource poverty and other causes that have combined to cause hunger, and in pursuit of the global interdependence of the judiciary. On poverty, defeating hunger, and providing decent livelihoods for everyone in this world, humanitarian organizations and agencies have been launched working to take the hand of the poor and move them towards a decent life. Among these organizations is the FAO, the World Food Program, and many others.
It is worth noting that the past few years have recorded large numbers of famines that have roamed the bones of individuals in some poor countries until the number of hungry people in 2010 amounted to one billion hungry people around the world, and this came after a noticeable rise in food prices, which prevented access to it Of middle and lower-income middle income, which awakened the body responsible for the World Food Program to double its budget to provide a helping hand to the needy, but this did not stand in the way of increasing prices and until this moment, food prices around the world are still increasing.
Among the most famous historical famines in the continent of Asia (starvation of China, India, North Korea, and Vietnam) and just as Africa witnessed a famine that prevailed in its entirety, while in Europe, hunger was possible from Italy, England, Iceland, Finland, Ireland, and Russia, and these famines had It happened through the ages, not today, as most of these countries were able to enter the lists of rich and developing countries later.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
The United Nations launched this organization as part of its international efforts to end hunger and poverty all over the world. This organization works to provide its services to developed and developing countries. It has also made the sixteenth day of October a world day for global food. The slogan “Fiat Panis” means in Arabic “find bread”, and the name of the organization is symbolized by the first letters of its name in the English language (Food and Agriculture Organization) and abbreviated as (FAO), and the organization takes its headquarters in Rome, Italy, and its beginning took place since 1945 and is still Active to the present and touched In its humanitarian activities, 194 countries joined its membership alongside the European Union, the Faroe Islands, and Tokelau, and it is noteworthy that in 2014 it came on the sidelines of the second international conference held in that year, the Rome Declaration on Nutrition approved by FAO members, parliamentarians and others It is concerned with this in order to perpetuate this declaration with regard to the right of every person to have the necessary and safe nutrition. It also placed on governments the responsibility to combat, eradicate and confront hunger before it occurs.
The goal of FAO
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a number of responsibilities that include it as a matter of priority for its attention:
- End hunger and poverty by achieving food security, and this is the central goal of its work and efforts to put food in the hands of individuals to provide them with a healthy life.
- Moving forward to contribute to the growth of the global economy.
- Working to improve and upgrade the living conditions of rural residents.
- Improving agricultural production capacity.
- Work to improve and improve nutrition levels.
- Ensure that individuals receive quality food.
- Take advantage of natural resources and use them to serve generations.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations plays an important leadership role in eradicating poverty by employing and harnessing the international efforts of its members, and one of its most important roles that confirms its importance and effective role is the neutral forum in which the organization supervises and participates in member states, and it is the seat of negotiation regarding agreements and discussing the policies of agreements and the organization, This organization works to provide assistance to developing countries and countries that are making a quantum leap in the agricultural sector, forests and fisheries, in an effort to ensure that everyone has a good level of nutrition. In this context, the organization undertakes Take charge of four main activities:
- Information provision: The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has launched its own official website to provide visitors with the information they need and that it had originally drawn from the experience of its specialized staff in the fields of agriculture, forestry, fisheries, livestock, nutrition and others who work for them and work To analyze this data and then publish it on the site to help farmers and provide them with data.
It is worth noting that the organization’s website registers millions of visits per month for the purpose of browsing electronic documents and reviewing the cooperative relationship between the organization and farmers. The organization not only provided electronic information, but also works to issue press releases, reports, books and magazines.
- Exchanging experiences and ideas in the policy field: FAO works to harness and employ its expertise in its field at the disposal of its members in order to draw agricultural policies and work to support planning and preparation of effective legislation, in addition to establishing and approving important national strategies necessary to bring into effect rural development goals in implementation Thus reducing hunger and eliminating it.
- Providing a neutral forum for member states: The organization provides policymakers and experts in its various regional offices the opportunity to meet at the headquarters of the organization and its field offices daily in an effort to formulate agreements related to major issues of food and agriculture. These meetings are described in the neutral forum, and the organization also opens the way for a joint meeting between members of rich countries And the poor together to reach a common solution or understanding between the two parties.
- Providing the opportunity to exchange knowledge and transfer it to reality: The organization works to implement thousands of field projects in various parts of the world by employing its extensive knowledge, as it works to provide a financial supply from industrialized countries and development banks and others to strive to achieve the desired goals of activities and projects implemented field, as it works To provide the necessary technical knowledge, and in exceptional cases it works in an integrated role with the World Food Program and other humanitarian agencies in an effort to provide a decent life and livelihood for rural people and work to build their lives again in a better way.
Ways to accomplish its tasks
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) draws plans for it at the level of the whole organization to work to find an obstacle for any problems to occur and prevent this from happening, as any problem that may exist and then work to identify it according to the strategic objectives of the organization is done, and this is done to achieve the desired results by:
- Create a joint work among the member states of the organization to draw agreements and develop codes of conduct and technical standards and work to implement them.
- Issuing reports documented with the collected agricultural data and information and analyzing and monitoring them.
- Opening the paths and methods of dialogue between the member states of the organization in relation to the organization’s policies at all global, regional and country levels.
- Team work among member states and a wide range of institutions including international organizations, universities and governments.
- Lend a hand to countries and work to build their capacities in pursuit of the desired goals in the field of agricultural development and development.
- Seek and share information and knowledge at the level of partners in accomplishing a task.
- Opening continuous communication with regard to the work of the organization.