We offer you the most important information about the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which is one of the largest mosques in the world and not only in the Emirates, besides it is one of the best tourist attractions worth visiting to see the beauty of its architectural design, and it was ordered to be built by Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan to be a symbol Islamic architecture, which represents a bridge linking the present with the past on the one hand, and on the other hand to be a symbol of the tolerance of Islam and its message of peace and tolerance, and through Arab travelers we will inform you about the history of the establishment of this great edifice and its most prominent features.
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
The cost of building this mosque amounts to two billion and 455 million dirhams, and the number of workers who worked on building and accomplishing it reached about 3000 workers, in addition to assigning the task of managing, designing and implementing the project to 38 contracting companies, and below we review for you the date of the establishment of this edifice:
The date of construction of the mosque
- Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan began thinking seriously about building this mosque in the late eighties, as he focused on his interest in establishing one of the largest mosques in the world, and work began to implement the construction of this particular building on November 5, 1996.
- Initially during the construction of the mosque, it was intended to accommodate 50,000 worshipers, and after the completion of its construction, it was announced that it would open in 2007 in the capital Abu Dhabi, specifically on Rashid Bin Saeed Street, and the opening was in the presence of Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, President of the Emirates, and is now expanding to approximately 47 thousand There are 7,000 worshipers inside, and 40,000 worshipers praying in the different sections of the mosque building.
Architectural components of the mosque
- The Sheikh Zayed Mosque is a sign of the beauty of architectural design, whether from the inside or outside, it is mainly made of white marble that reflects the beauty of the mosque from the outside, and the number of its domes reaches about 82 domes and those domes are covered with white marble, and the largest dome in them is in the Great Hall of Prayer .
- Among the most prominent architectural components of the mosque is the crown of the dome, which is made in the shape of an inverted few, and at the top there is the crescent decorated with mosaic glass and characterized by its golden paint.
- What distinguishes this mosque and makes it a masterpiece of beauty is also a harmony between the various colors that you will see in the walls and columns, in addition to the mosaic decorations that decorate the glass and give it a magnificent beauty, in addition to that it is surrounded by water pools that are very impressive.
- The mosque includes approximately 7 crystal chandeliers made by German industry, which turned the roofs of the mosque into another masterpiece, and the largest of these chandeliers reaches a size of 12 tons, with a height of 15 meters and a diameter of 10 meters, in addition to blue chandeliers that number four and they are similar to Great wealth.
- The mosque consists of about 4 minarets, each of which is approximately 106 meters long, and each of them includes various geometric shapes. In the first part at the top, the minaret takes the shape of a square, and the second part is made in the form of eight sides, while the third part is made in a cylindrical shape Each of them is crowned with a lamp decorated with a glass mosaic that is distinguished by its golden paint, and the design of these minarets dominates the Andalusian and Moroccan style.
- The mosque includes the largest carpet in the world with an area of 7500 square meters, and the number of its weavers reached about 1200 people, and the weaving took about 8 months, which is mainly made of wool.
The dates of visiting Sheikh Zayed Mosque
- The mosque begins to open its doors and receive visitors from nine in the morning until ten in the evening, except for Friday, devoted to worshipers in the morning.
- The appointments are on Friday from 4:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- You can join the free introductory tours of the mosque that take one hour in duration, and start from Saturday to Thursday at 10 and 11 in the morning, and at 5 in the evening, and on Friday start at five in the evening.
It is worth noting that Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan was buried on the north side of the mosque, on November 3, 2004, as he died before its completion.Read:Entertainment at the Olympic Park in Munich