Table of Contents
The largest prison in the world
The world’s largest prison called the Twin Towers Correctional Facility, known as the Twin Towers Jail, was located in Los Angeles, California. Accurately located on 450 Bauchet Street, Los Angeles and California, and is managed by the Department of Local Government of Los Angeles, and consists of two towers, a medical service building, and a Los Angeles prison, the prison capacity is 1.5 million square feet (140 thousand Mather Square) was opened in 1997. The prison hosts the most dangerous prisoners in addition to prisoners of mental institutions, and the prisoners who need severe mental health care, while for the prisoners, there were a few of them who needed medical care, otherwise they are held in the regional prison, As for the male prisoners, they were held in the central prison.
Despite the security measures in the prison, many security breaches and problems occurred, including:
- On June 6, 2001, prisoner Kevin Jerome managed to escape using the staff exit, only two hours after he was convicted of attempted murder, and after 18 days he was arrested a mile from prison, and the prison managed to escape by using the image of the actor Eddie Murphy On a newspaper and put it on the identity badge of one of the employees he used to escape from prison, and with Kevin Roger the number of those who managed to escape from prison reaches 13 prisoners.
- In May 2013, and alongside the Central Men’s Prison, the Twin Towers prison was considered one of the ten worst prisons in the United States of America, according to reports from Mother Jones, and the prison received a lot of criticism from human rights institutions and most of the criticism was focused The prison administration must use psychiatric drugs to be able to control the prisoners, and criticism has raised that female representatives and officers are present during the treatment of male prisoners, and not only are they present, but also the prisoners are naked and doctors await their orders to provide treatment to the prisoners.
As it is considered the largest prison in the world, the Twin Towers offers a range of services for its prisoners, including:
- Rations: Inmates are allowed to have a variety of items, such as: food items, books, cleaning supplies, toys, etc.
- A chapel or place of worship for all religious denominations.
- Recreational activities abroad.
- Library (law library for prisoners who wish to represent themselves in court).
- Vocational training.