Great Pyramid of Khulula
The Great Pyramid of Cholula is known as the largest pyramid in the world by volume, located in Puebla, Mexico, with a height of approximately 54 meters, and its base covers an area of 182,108.5 square meters, and the total size of the pyramid is what It is approximately 4,715,840.55 cubic meters, which is twice the size of the Great Pyramid of Khufu, in addition to that it consists of several structures piled on top of each other, which were built in four stages between the third century BC and the ninth century AD.
The pyramid of Khulula is known as Tlachihualtepetl which means the artificial mountain, and this great edifice was built in the form of a temple dedicated to Quetzalcoatl, which is an ancient deity in Central America, and this pyramid is also closely related to the architectural style in the city of Teotihuacan It served as an important legendary and religious center during prehistoric times.
Other information about the Great Pyramid of Khulula
The Great Pyramid of Khulula can be identified through the following information:
- Distinguish it with a lined brick core covered with a layer of plaster.
- The pyramid was built over the ruins of another pyramid, which was built between 150 to 50 BC, but it was buried because of a volcano eruption in the region in 450 AD.
- The pyramid of Khaoula is similar in structure to the sun pyramid in Mexico, and a cemetery was discovered inside and around the pyramid that contains approximately 400 human graves, which indicates that it is considered an important place of worship, and scholars believe that this pyramid was abandoned at some point in the seventh or eighth century The Gregorian pyramid is also considered a major attraction for tourists today.
- The Great Pyramid of Khulula is located on the top of a huge hill, with a large church at the top, and it is distinguished from hidden from view, as it was difficult to find it in the past, because of the clay that was used in its construction and which helped the plants to hide it, and the locals were able to discover This great pyramid in 1910 AD.
- The ability to visit the pyramid and get to know the archaeological sites that surround it, and many other interesting structures. It is also possible to walk through the pyramid tunnels, visit the small museum, and get a complete picture of the importance of this region in ancient Central America.
Ranking of the largest pyramids in the world
The list of the largest pyramids in the world after the Great Pyramid of Khulula can be identified by the following:
- The pyramid of Khufu: The Great Pyramid in Giza or the Great Pyramid of Khufu is considered the second largest pyramid in the world, with a previous length of approximately 146.6 meters, but its height has decreased to about 138.6 meters due to continuous erosion, and the Khufu Pyramid is classified as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world It is the most famous pyramid in the world and is part of the Giza Pyramids complex in Egypt, and scholars believe that it is one of the tombs that were built during a period ranging between ten to twenty years.
- Khafre Pyramid: The pyramid of Khafre is classified as the second longest pyramid of Egypt, and was built as a tomb of the pharaoh Khafra, and was built in horizontal paths, and the stones formed for the bottom part are larger than the stones in the upper part of the pyramid, in addition to that it contains two entrances that connect to the burial chamber.
- Giza Pyramids Complex: The Great Pyramids of Giza are the three largest pyramids in the world, which are located in the Giza region in the Republic of Egypt and consist of the pyramid of Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure, in addition to the Sphinx, and these pyramids were built as tombs of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs.